Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riviera Maya has recently debuted its From Mexico to Andaz series, a new creative culinary and immersive cultural experience designed to spotlight different regions of Mexico through authentic local partnerships and resort experiences.
The series has four planned volumes, starting with Oaxaca, then followed by Central Mexico, the Yucatan and finally Northern Mexico, with each region spotlighted for three months. For each region highlighted, guests will be treated to a variety of local flavors and cultural activities representative of the destination, from special menu items, tastings and local produce to jewelry, crafts, artisan workshops and more.
Each quarter, the resort’s signature restaurant, Casa Amate, will feature a “Dish with a Cause”, where proceeds will benefit the Guadalupe Musalem Charity in Oaxaca for low-income women and girls by providing scholarships and financial assistance to study in high school and college.
The first region to be celebrated is Oaxaca which highlights key coffee, cacao, mezcal, alebrijes art ant more. Partners/highlights includes the following:
- “Dish with a Cause,” Huachimole, a collaboration between Executive Chef Miguel Gomez of Andaz Mayakoba’s fine-dining restaurant Casa Amate and Oaxacan chef Olga Cabrera from Tierra del Sol restaurant, both ranked among Mexico’s top restaurants.
- Finca Arabia, a family-owned producer of high-end, organic Oaxacan coffee from Sierra Sur founded by Tomás Galguera Martínez in 1932.
- Pasión de Cacao by Roberto Reta, a Mexican chocolate company making high-quality, preservative-free, 100% Mexican cacao and chocolate.
- Mezcal Amarás, a sustainable Oaxacan mezcal brand that promotes social and environmental responsibility by supporting local communities, traditional master distillers of mezcal and local agave farmers, as well as empowering women through its training of maestras mezcalaras.
- ARIPO de Oaxaca, a handicrafts store offering handmade goods from the different communities and eight regions of Oaxaca.
- Angélico Jiménez Hernández, part of the original Alebrijes art family who created this iconic Mexican art form – brightly colored Mexican folk art sculptures of fantastical (fantasy/mythical) creatures.
Volume two celebrates Central Mexico with a focus on desserts and other key products from the region including chocolate, pastries, tequila, kombucha, Mexican silver and more. Partners/highlights included the following:
- Tequila tastings with Tequila Clase Azul, allowing participants the chance to earn a Bachelor of Spirits from the resort’s Tequila University.
- Meals at the resort’s five restaurants prepared by Executive Chef Miguel Gómez in collaboration with two guest chefs -- Luis Robledo, of Tout Chocolat in Mexico City, known as one of the top chocolatiers in Mexico and around the world, and Carlos Roure, of Sucre Cacao, a top Pastry Chef in Mexico City.
- Mandolin Kambucha served as a post-spa treatment drink and at the restaurants. Kambucha, a probiotic drink made from tea, is a sustainable product from Puebla, Mexico.
- Luxury Mexican silver, pottery, tea and more at the resort’s boutique.
Officially launching in October, Volume III celebrates the Yucatan region of Mexico, with a focus on sustainability and seafood. Partners are still being firmed up but include the following:
- Chef partner Chavo Orozco
- Sustainable seafood partner Pesca con Futuro
- Pox liquor
- Yucatan local jewelry company Kay
- Local honey and salt brands
- Local candle company coqui coqui, which will make an exclusive candle using Andaz Mayakoba’s signature copal sent,
- Clothing company Dual de Mar, inspired by the Mexican Caribbean